Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Grand Opening

These are just a few photos from the Wednesday. There is a new building that the Americans funded opening at Delap that will be used for fourth and fifth grade classes, I think. So there was a huge ceremony: the American ambassador came, and lots of other probably important people were there. A few days ago, Sumiko asked me if I knew how to sew a dress. I told her I did not, so she had her aunt make me a dress, which was the same dress all of the ladies at the school wore for that day. So I got my first veritable Marshallese mumu, and all of the kids loved it. The other ladies at the school kept coming up to me and grabbing my sleeve and saying "eman, eman" which means "good! good!" It was a really fun day. There was lots of dancing, including the Delap group IDK [5th/6th grade], who dress up in bandanas and long sleeve shirts and low hats and perform ridiculous....I don't even know the term I'm looking for. I was going to say "street dances" but that sounds really stupid. And if I say, stuff like on "America's Best Dance Crew" you will know I have watched that show. Whatever-- either way, they were really funny and very good dancers. 

That afternoon I started my career as assistant volleyball coach for the 6th grade girls. Our season is looking promising so far. The girls are actually really, really good. Much better than me. We have our first game on Tuesday, so that should be pretty exciting. 


Here are some pictures from the day--


The kindergarteners doing their dance for the ceremony. 



The staff picture from the grand opening of the new building. I do not need to tell you who I am because I still look really pale even after 2 months spent near the equator (someone said, "you're like a blinding white beacon.") I'm wearing a Marshallese mumu, which is basically a dress which is worn by most of the older women on the island. 

No comments:

Post a Comment